Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Christmas Is Coming!! Christmas Is Coming!!

Well, it's official. The "Holidays" are well and truly upon us now. And now begins the tug-of-war in my life; indeed, in the lives of almost everyone I know. How do I keep this season of love and joy, this time of celebration of the birth of Christ, centered on the true meaning? How do I teach my children that Christmas is about more than gifts - in fact, it's not really even about material gifts at all? I know this is a question people have been asking for some time. It seems to be a more pertinent question every year. But I think I have found part of the problem, at least in my household. I think we cannot keep Christmas centered on love, joy, peace and Christ, and not on material wealth and gifts, when we focus the rest of the year on exactly these wrong things.

Each year about this time, it seems that people really notice how material and worldly our children have all become. But I would submit to you, reader, that the blame lies not with our children, but with us. Why shouldn't my boys ask for every toy they see on TV for Christmas? After all, their room is bursting at the seams with more toys than are in an entire third world country. They wear name-brand clothes (mostly hand-me-downs, but still). They ride in a nice car, and we live in a comfortable home with a nice yard. When they ask us why Nate and I go to work, we tell them it is to make money for the things we need. Then they see the way that we live - not in excess, certainly, but comfortably - and they make their own judgments about why we work, and how we define "need." With our lives, with our choices, and with every purchase we make or commercial we comment upon, we teach our children that every day is, at least in part, about making our way in this world. Why should Christmas be any different?

So we have made a point, in our home, of spending time together, of enjoying one another's company, and celebrating those values we want our children to particularly treasure at Christmas time. And perhaps if we live our lives a little more centered on love, joy, peace and Christ for 364 days, it won't take quite so much effort for the Christmas spirit next year.