Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Positively positive

I was looking back over the posts I have typed, and they seem kind of . . . negative. Which is a shame, really. I'm not a negative kind of person. I have a good life, and I know and can appreciate how really rare that is. So, in honor of that, I have decided to put forth the effort to be a positive person, with my children, at work and in life in general. Specifically, I will not yell at my children for infractions that do not deserve yelling (ditto for spanking), or waste my time griping about things I cannot change (and things that are not nearly as bad as they feel). I will not get into long conversations with pessimists. I will not panic about the fact that there are X number of days until Christmas, and I'm completely not ready. (Although, as an aside, there really are not many days at all until Christmas, and I'm really, really not ready . . .)

Philosophically, I wonder why it is so hard for us to focus on the positives, to count our blessings? Why am I not insanely grateful every day that God sent his son to endure horrible punishments that no parent would ever want their child to undergo, all for me (and you, too)? Why is it so much easier to focus on the deplenishing balance in the checking account than to focus on the smiles of my children, or their beautiful, angelic, sleeping faces? I mean, I've met my kids awake - I understand why they might not seem like such a blessing when they're up and fighting. :) But they truly are wonderful, particularly one-on-one . . . and asleep. My husband is fabulously wonderful - kind, gentle, caring, considerate. Why is it so much easier to focus on the fact that the man cannot cook without dirtying every single dish in the house, or that he simply does not have the ability to put dirty clothes in the hamper, than to focus on the fact that he cooked a wonderful meal for us, or that the reason his clothes are so dirty is because he works so hard to provide for us?

I think it's all part of our fallen nature - another aspect of our humanity. But I, for one, am going to put more effort into the other side; into having a "blue skies" attitude. I will make it a point to be positively positive.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm not really holding out that much hope that I'll be succesful.