Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Update on Homeschooling

Since I dropped off the radar map for such a long time, I thought it may be time for a homeschooling update. We've been at it for three years now, and it seems to be working pretty well for us. Some days are better than others, obviously. I think public school teachers would say the same thing about their classrooms. Some days, the children are obedient and respectful and do all their work without complaining. However, on days that end in "y," there is at least one time where a child whines about his work. I ignore it, and we push on!

The interesting thing for me has been Justin. He is technically sort of working on a kindergarten curriculum this year. His birthday is four days before the grade cutoff for public school, and with his emotional issues, I think it's better for him to be the oldest in his "grade" rather than the youngest.

He really likes school, though. I didn't expect that, for some reason. I expected it to really be a struggle. But he seems to enjoy it, and asks to do school. I'm going to really focus on his schooling over the summer. I don't know if he'll start 1st grade next fall or if we'll still be in kindergarten. But the best part of homeschooling is, it doesn't matter!! He can be where he is, and I can meet him there.





2 comments:

Tarasview said...

I love that perspective Dana- that he can just be who he is :)

Alida Sharp said...

Dana, we homeschooled our sons all the way from kindergarten through high school graduation. My oldest learned to read at 4 and the youngest at age 9... they are both avid readers!!

The great thing about homeschooling is that the kids can be where they are and progress at their own pace.

Your students are blessed to have a teacher like you!!