Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Profound Thoughts

My friend Cathy wrote a recent post about how she can never think what to write when she is in front of her computer; how her profound thoughts always strike her when she's doing something else. For me, my most profound thoughts strike while I'm driving down the road, by myself. I work in town, and J-Bo is in daycare out near my house. So, I usually have a twenty-five minute drive, each way, to think and listen to the radio. My thoughts range from the profound (I was recently struck by the truth that time isn't linear) to the the mundane (generally a grocery list or dinner menu). So, on the way home this evening, I was thinking about the way the Bible calls us to behave. Now, I do NOT believe that you have to behave in a certain way, or "earn" your way to Heaven. I believe that if you love the Lord, you will want to behave in ways that please Him. The Bible just tells us what those ways are.

So, today, as I'm driving down the road, I was thinking the following: 1) No one in this town can drive except me (present company excepted, of course); 2) I do not like sharing the road with people who cannot drive; 3) Life would be a lot easier if the Bible called us to "share our feelings." For example, it would be a lot nicer if the Bible called us to really let the lady who cut us off have it - just let her know how we feel. Or that guy on his cell phone who almost ran us out of the road at the interstate interchange. I'd really like to get up close and personal with him. But I have the Christian fish symbol on my car, and a bumper sticker advertising the Christian radio station in this area on my back glass. So, I am attempting to live up to that witnesss, and behave as Christ would.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll take the bus . . .

2 comments:

Cathy said...

Even more important than the Christian fish and the radio station bumper sticker, you sometimes have J-Bo, B-Boo and J-Rooni in the actual vehicle. If we are to model Christ, we must especially model Him to our children (Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6 NKJV).

That last statement and the verse are just as much for me as for anyone else -- especially for me somedays! Children are inclined to parrot things back when you least expect them and it feels terrible to realize what they have picked up and from whom.

On a side note, thanks for the link to my blog. Now I really have to try to find the time to write my deep thoughts!

Dana said...

Excellent point! The most important job Christ has given every Christian is to be a witness and a light for Him. Mothers have the doubly-important role of being witnesses to our children, and to the world with our children.

No one ever said being a mom was easy, but it's worth it! Even if it means I can't express my feelings on the roadway . . .