Sunday, November 26, 2006

Thanks

Well, this is the time of year when we officially come together to be thankful for our blessings. I find it kind of sad that we as Americans, in the most blessed country in the world as far as freedoms and material blessings, must schedule a day for fear we might forget to be thankful. I believe that sometimes, in our overabundance, we can become blase about our blessings. Almost as though we deserve them. We are Americans, are we not? Everyone knows that God blesses America. Well, not to be the voice of doom, but the farther America walks from God's intended path, the less frequently those blessings will be observed. But I digress . . .

As a Christian, I should be innately thankful, every single day, for every single blessing; including the less than obvious ones, like hardships, trials and difficulties. But, in the spirit of the holiday (holy day), I believe I shall enumerate some of them.

Thank you, Father, for my husband. He works so hard to support us, and is an honest, forthright, and Godly man. I thank you for him and all he is to my life.

Thank you, Father, for my children. Thought I occasionally whine and frequently joke about them, I recognize that they are my greatest earthly ministry. I thank you for my intelligent, quiet Joshua who frequently shocks us into speechlessness by his insights and questions. I thank you for Blaine, our wide open little man. He keeps me on my toes and shows me Your love with his open hearted love for the world. I thank you for Justin, our dependent little three year old. Through working with his speech difficulties, you have taught me that not everything will come easily for us and our children. As I see him work so hard, and succeed, I understand the value of perseverance and patience.

Thank you, Father, for my friends. Thank you specifically for Melanie, who has known me for so long. She sees me as me, and not just a wife and mother. You know that I need friends who are not focused on wife and mother roles, to keep me centered on You. Thank you for her, and all she is in my life. Thank you also for Cathy. You know that I need to know I am not alone, to know that other moms have the same doubts and insecurities I do. I can see that she is a fantastic wife and mother, and I thank you for her Godly example and the friendship of someone who is where I am.

Father, I thank you for my physical blessings, including Nate's job, our warm home and the fact that our concern is how we will pay for Christmas presents, not groceries or the power bill.

Most of all, Lord, thank you for your son. Thank you for your love, and my salvation. Without that, none of these other blessings would be at all.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: